What is Power BI?
What is Power BI?
Power BI is a self-service business analytics tool developed by Microsoft; you can access it using any of the popular browsers connected to the internet. The platform provides you with the capability to analyze and visualize data, extract insights and share it across various departments within your organization. It allows efficient decision-making driven by empirical data. With the help of Power BI, you can gather data from more than hundred sources and accumulate them in one platform, bring data to life with intuitive dashboards and reposts.
Click Here! → Get Power BI 100% Practical Training!
Key Components of Power BI
Following are the key components that constitute the Power BI:
Representation of data in the visual form is visualization. Examples of visualization of data are Line Graphs, Pie Charts, tree map, etc.
Collection of data that is used to develop visualizations in Power BI is called datasets; these include SQL server tables, Excel sheets, or Oracle.
Collection of data in the visual form usually on a page or a few pages is report. These reports may represent, profit by different category of products, cost of marketing in a region, sales by country, etc.
A dashboard presents several visualizations in one interface.
These are single visualization such as bar diagram in a report or dashboard.
Click Here! → To Get Power BI Certification Training!
Key Features of Power BI
Power BI is one of the most popular BI tools used by business all across the world to better understand business data, use the exceptional visualization tools to assess the current standing of the business using live dashboards and reports, share reports across the organization using the collaborative features included within Power BI. Following are brief on the key features of Power BI:
1. Power BI Desktop
Power BI Desktop is an interactive tool that allows you to build reports by easily accessing data. You do not have to possess advanced report designing, Excel Power, or queries skills to build a report with this powerful tool. Power BI Desktop is free to download tool that allows you to create exceptional reports without much technical knowledge.
Data is at the center of all business decisions today. The challenge before organizations is to manipulate data with other datasets to derive meaningful information. An effective way to do this is to collect various datasets and organize it in different visual ways for better understanding. This form provides a much deeper understanding of data. The information obtained from these data sets with the help of Power BI visual representation organization can have an edge over the competition.
3. Import Excel Data
This is a new feature added to Power BI; it allows the user to import data from Excel Sheets. With this feature, Excel Power users have more functionality to work with using the Power BI.
4. Custom Visualization
Every organization functions in a different manner and they have their own way of doing things, sometimes the standard way is always the way to go. The same applies to visualization. Power BI has a default standard and might not be sufficient in some cases due to complex data. However, you can access the custom library of visualization to design a visualization that meets your needs.
5. Power Q&A Question Box
This integrated function within the Microsoft Power BI allows you to explore data by asking questions and the software gives answers in the form of visualizations. You can use the Q&A to modify dashboards and reports. Q&A also helps you find the right question and provides the most correct answer.
Click Here! → Get Prepared for Interviews!
Power BI Advantages and Disadvantages
The primary tools used in Power BI are Power Pivot to analyze data, Power Query to extract and modify data, and Map that helps visualize the datasets. Here are our analysis of the benefits of Power BI and its limitations.
- Power BI empowers the analysts with business intelligence capability allowing them to extract data from various sources, create datasets, transform and visualize data, and publish the reports and dashboards.
- The platform brings a new dimension to self-service with the inclusion of Question and Answer function.
- Bing Maps empower the interactive geo-map visualization.
- Data Analysis Expressions scripting language used in Power BI allows the creation of calculated columns and measures. In most aspects, Excel and Data Analysis Expressions are similar, with the difference that Excel works around cells and Data Analysis Expression is column based.
- The product receives update almost every month, ensuring a perpetual evolution.
- Power BI lacks in custom visuals.
- The business intelligence tool does not allow writing of custom SQL as a source in PowerQuery.
- Sharing dashboards and reports with individuals outside the same email domain is a nightmare.
- Datasets in Power BI supports multiple datasets; however, dashboards and reports can only source single datasets.
- The platform does not accept file size larger than 250 MB
Power BI is a highly effective tool that enables data-driven decision-making and collaboration within an organization. The platform provides a wide range of options to facilitate seamless operations for an organization. It is regularly updated bringing the latest innovation in business analytics technology for the user.
Click Here! → Enroll now !//php comment_form(); ?>