Students also Learn Related Courses
Power BI Interview Questions and Answers
Power BI Interview Questions and Answers
Power BI Interview Questions and answers for beginners and experts. List of frequently asked Power BI Interview Questions with answers by Besant Technologies. We hope these Power BI Interview Questions and answers are useful and will help you to get the best job in the networking industry. This Power BI Interview Questions and answers are prepared by Power BI Professionals based on MNC Companies expectation. Stay tuned we will update New Power BI Interview questions with Answers Frequently. If you want to learn Practical Power BI Training then please go through this Power BI Training in Chennai and Power BI Training in Bangalore
Best Power BI Interview Questions and answers
Besant Technologies supports the students by providing Power BI Interview Questions and answers for the job placements and job purposes. Power BI is the leading important course in the present situation because more job openings and the high salary pay for this Power BI and more related jobs. We provide the Power BI online training also for all students around the world through the Gangboard medium. These are top Power BI Interview Questions and answers, prepared by our institute experienced trainers.
Power BI Interview Questions and answers for the job placements
Here is the list of most frequently asked Power BI Interview Questions and answers in technical interviews. These questions and answers are suitable for both freshers and experienced professionals at any level. The questions are for intermediate to somewhat advanced Power BI professionals, but even if you are just a beginner or fresher you should be able to understand the answers and explanations here we give.
Power BI Desktop is an application that can be installed. This works nicely with Power BI by providing data exploration and shaping and creating report with quality visualization. You can save your work to a file and publish your reports in Power BI site.
Files(XLSX & CSV)
Connectors to databases and other datasets such as Azure & SQL etc.
They are collection of related documents and files that are stored as in a set.
Two types of content packs.
Services providers like Google Analytics, Marketo.
Salesforce Shared by other users in your organization.
Visualization is a visual representation of dataset that extracts information from the data based on the business.
Report is basically a collection of visualization charts that appear together on one or more pages within power BI.
Dashboard is single layer presentation sheet of multiple visualizations reports.
Tiles is basically a single visualization in a report or on a power BI dashboard.
- Visual-level Filters
- Page-level Filters
- Report-level Filters
Visual level filters works on only an individual/single visualization, reducing the amount of data that the visualization can see in power BI.
Page level filters work at the report-page level in power BI. Multiple pages in the same report can have multiple page-level filters.
Report level filters work on the entire report within power BI project. Filtering all pages and visualizations will include within the report.
- Power BI is a cloud-based business service.
- Excel BI Tool Kit
- Power Query
- Power Pivot
- Power View
- Power Map
Power BI is a cloud-based business service enables the client to interpret information with higher efficiency and execution.
The Excel BI Toolkit comprises of Excel and four add-ins that enable us to do the transfer function, shape transform, create, and to show our analyses.
- Package refresh
- Model or data refresh
- Tile refresh
- Visual container refresh
DAX(Data Analysis Expression) do basic calculation and data analysis on data in power pivot. DAX is a formula language used to compute calculated column and calculated field within power BI.
- DAX works on column level values.
- DAX can’t modify or insert data.
- DAX can create calculated column
This is the only function that allows us to modify filter context of measures or tables.
- The DVI is “Drill Mode On”. In the event, we keep it off, we need to change those settings without fail. Rather set the Default to ‘Drill Mode On’.
- Drilling Mode will be on, if the aggregates are at initial level.
Power Pivot helps in analysing our data. It empowers users to import large scale of data from numerous data sources into a single Excel sheet for better users interface.
Variables will make unconstrained DAX expressions which are consistent to interpret with data. Variables can’t be shared among queries or be characterized at the model level.
Drag any one measure into the worksheet and drag one more dimension along it. Now you go to the show me pane, and choose the bar chart tile.. it can be both vertical and horizontal
By choice there are 4 different types of refresh that can happen. They are,
- Package refresh
- Model or data refresh
- Tile refresh
- Visual container refresh
For basic calculation and data analysis on data in power pivot we can use DAX. It is a formula language to compute calculated columns and calculated fields.
- Pros and cons of Dax
- Dax works on multiple column values and Dax cannot modify or insert data
- We can calculate calculated column and measures, but we cannot calculate using rows.
For the measure named Total Sales, calculate = SUM of values in the [SalesAmount ] column.
- equal signs
- DAX syntax
- Reference Table and
- Column name
It does not support email addresses provided by regular email services or telecommunications providers. So you should sign up using your professional address.
List the work email addresses that are supported.
Working email addresses ending in .edu and .org are always supported.
Those ending in .gov are not currently supported.
The main engine, xVelocity in-memory analytics engine. This machine can handle large amount of data as it stores data in columnar databases and in enhances memory analytics which results in faster processing of data as it loads all data to RAM memory.
No, Power BI is not available as a private or an internal cloud service. However, with Power BI and Power BI Desktop you can connect to your own on-premises data sources. With the On campus Data Gateway, you can connect to your on campus SQL Server Analysis Services server as well.
- SQL Server with the Power BI iOS.
- SQL Server on the iPhone.
- SQL Server on the iPad.
Power BI has its own apps for Android phones, iOS devices, and Windows 10 devices. Download Power BI apps from below:
- Apple App Store
- Google Play and
- Windows Store
Azure SQL Database and
SQL Server Analysis Services.
BI professions and system integrators use this tool to build their own content packs to share purpose-built dashboards, reports, and datasets within their organization.
- Power Query
- Power Pivot
- Power View
- Power Map
Just a Web browser and email.
You can use Power BI Desktop for free up to 60 days.
- App Store
- Google Play and
- Windows Store
Power BI Desktop’s use rights do not limit you to one copy of Power BI Desktop for each individual user at the company may install and use one copy on their premises.
- Power BI Blogs
- Getting started videos on YouTube Channels
- Join a community and ask questions
You can purchase Power BI licenses directly at www.powerbi.com.
Without a doubt, and to learn more about Power BI compliance, at the Microsoft Trust Centre.
It has been dropped.
First upload a dataset and then upload the same, create multiple reports and infuse everything together as an appealing dashboard.
Power BI provides a cloud based data sharing platform, developed by Microsoft Corporation. Power BI is a business intelligence and data visualization tool which is capable of converting data from several sources of data and places it in the user interface, dashboard and also prepares business intelligence reports. Power BI is a multiple utility services software; it can provide multiple amount of software, services and connectors, Power BI mobile applications for various environments, Power BI cloud service based on SaaS and Power BI desktop. Power BI is basically used in commercial application specifically by business people who need to create BI reports.
Through an Excel BI toolkit, one can get data from various sources to create user interactable report. As per the requirements in the report, the user has to model the data. Power BI allows the user support solutions online, through which the user can share the queries and the interactable reports which is built through the Excel BI toolkit.
Power BI desktop is an application supported by Power BI tool which is used for report creations basically. Power BI Desktop is made available to the users in 32 and 64 bit versions. Power BI is readily available as open source to all the users. With the enhanced support from Power BI service, Power BI desktop lets user to explore the data, to model, to shape and to create reports with good interactable visualization feature. Users can save their work or they are allowed to post their data and reports to Power BI suite to share the posted information with others.
Q49)Name the basic building blocks of Power BI?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]
Dashboards, Datasets, Reports, Data visualization, Tiles, power BI desktop, Power map, power pivot, power query and power view.
Power BI has a wide variety of features. We need Power BI because of the following things:
- In a single platform, business intelligence and self servicing needs were met
- To build interactable data visualization in data centres.
- To establish connection for Excel queries and dash boards of Power BI for fast analysis and business data sharing to others.
- For accurate and quick solutions.
The features of Power BI are stated below:
- Power BI possesses advanced data driven platform which lets users for interactive data visualization.
- Assures enhanced security and inbuilt control features for business organizations
- Not only ensures well organized and faster custom application creation but also automates the workflow to improve the productivity of business.
The advantages of Power BI are stated below:
- User can create their data sources too easily and quickly to visualize data.
- Serves for multiple purposes such as data visualization, personalized reports, decision support engines to business organizations and groups.
- Establishes faster connection with local DB or to excel spread sheets.
- It is a system for well organized and systematic data analytics which allows business individuals or organizations to analyze, filter and segment data without any deep technical understanding in math operations and business intelligence.
- This system enables a user with basic knowledge of data analytics to build reports in dashboard and share data to others.
- Allows users to access their own data and to build several visuals to obtain better knowledge in their business.
Power BI supports wide variety of data sources and users can choose data source from the available data source connections from Get data option. Power BI allows connections with Azure Cloud, SQL DB, various flat files etc., It also supports various web and mobile platforms such as Google Analytics, Facebook etc., It in fact allows the very old ODBC connections as well.
Content pack is an inbuilt service available in Power BI. Content packs enables their users to view their dashboards where their personalized data is stored and can create reports for the data. Microsoft supports content packs for widely used services and Power BI is one among them. Some of the other services which contains inbuilt content pack are Azure Mobile engagement, Marketo, Adobe Analytics, Salesforce.com etc., Content packs provides tools to support organizations, business professionals and system integrating professionals to create their own content packs and can share data in dashboards and to create reports and datasets.
Filters are used to perform several functions to filter data, report and visualization. There are various filters available to perform these functions. They are:
- Page-level filters: Page-level filters perform its tasks at the page level in reports. So, every page in a report will contain a page level filter.
- Visual level filters: Visual level filters are used for visualization through an individual’s dash board and is used to reduce the amount of data in the visualization. Moreover, this filter is used to filter not only data but calculations as well.
- Report level filters: Unlike page level filters, these filters perform filtering over the complete report individually. It filters all pages and also visualizations present in the report.
Tableau is a widely used and most famous tool in Business intelligence. Though Power BI provides tough competition to Tableau, Power BI has certain limitations.
|Tableau allows access not only to simple but to strong visualizations as well. It is one of the best data visualization tools in the BI market.||Power BI produce strong data manipulation in backend but provides access only to simple visualizations.|
|In case of Tableau, it allows the user to connect larger datasets.||In free version, Power BI lets the user to only 1 GB data.|
|Tableau is the best available tool in the BI market. It supports wide variety of data sources to visualize data. It allows the user to select a dataset in the dataset to visualize data for a selected dataset.||Power BI allows several data sources supported by Tableau. With the integration of Office 365 suite, it allows connection with Share point. Power BI also allows online support to the user for direct visualization through Search Engines but is limited to Bling alone.|
|Tableau is costlier while compared to Power BI but provides a better price for small and medium scale companies.||There is a free version available in Power BI which lets the user to 1GB data set limit. Pro Software is paid but is cheaper in the market while compared to other BI tools.|
|Direct Query method||Import method|
|Data manipulation is much limited in this method and the data will be present in the SQL DB.||Import method also does data transformation and manipulation tasks. If the data is published in PBI, it is limited to 1 GB. Here the data will be present in Power BI Azure.|
|As the name implies, the queries are direct and does not requires refresh scheduling.||Import method requires to schedule refresh and has to be refreshed 8 times in a day.|
Following are the advantages of Direct query method:
- User can build larger data sets data visualizations through Direct query method, but Power BI desktop supports data visualizations on smaller data sets alone.
- There is no dataset limit for Direct query method and 1 GB dataset limit is not applicable in this method.
- User can visualize current data report alone while using direct query.
Following are the limitations present in Direct query method:
- User can perform data aggregation for unlimited number of rows but returning data is limited to 1 million rows alone.
- All the tables have to come from a single data base only.
- While using complex queries, the query editor returns an error. This error has to be removed before running a new query.
- Relationship filtering can be allowed only in one direction while using Direct query method.
- There is no support for special treatments in direct query method for time related data present in the tables.
Power pivot is a technique used in data model and analysis. It is available as an add on to be used with Excel 2010. Because of this feature, millions of rows of data from various data sources can be imported to one Excel work book. Power pivot helps the user to build relationship to heterogeneous data, to build the computed columns and measures through formulas and to build pivot charts and pivot tables. It also enables the user in data analysis through which the business people can take decisions on time independently without any support from IT professionals.
Power pivot data model is a data model composed of tables, columns, data types and table relations. Generally, this data model is built to hold data for business operations. It could be either for an individual to a business organization.
DAX is the Data Analysis Expression which is used to perform data analysis and primary calculations of data in the Power pivot. DAX performs math computing through formulas. It works on column values and calculated field but cannot work on rows. Also, DAX will not alter a data or insert a new data.
|Power BI||SQL Server Reporting Services|
|Power BI gives strong data manipulation feature in its backend but provides access only to simple visualizations.||SQL server Reporting Services is generally used to make pixel perfect reports and provides limited dash board options.|
|In free version, Power BI limits the use 1 GB data.||SSRS does not have any limit. Also, it allows users to connect larger data sets, which is not possible in Power BI.|
|Power BI allows several data sources supported by Tableau. With the integration of Office 365 suite, it allows connection with Share point. Power BI also allows online support to the user for direct visualization through Search Engines but is limited to Bling search.||SSRS also allows various data sources for connections to make business intelligence reports.|
|There is a free version available in Power BI which allows the user to 1GB data set limit. Pro Software is paid but is cheaper in the market while compared to other BI tools.||Upon request, the cost details are exposed to the user.|
|Power BI is free version and Power Pro is paid. Pro is available to the user at a cost of 9.99USD/month with 10 GB data limit and 1 million rows/hour data streaming.||This software license is available on request and is available on cloud platforms such as Azure, AWS and some other major platforms.|
|Implementation process in Power BI is quite simple. It uses cloud storage.||Compared to Power BI, SSRS contains complex implementation process.|
|Power BI||Power BI Pro|
|Is a free version with storage limited up to 1GB for data.||Is a paid version with more storage capacity options|
|Power BI is a basic tool for beginners to get started and to search data.||Pro software added with bunch of features through which user can refresh data daily, more storage option, direct and live data sources including interaction option etc.,|
Power BI provides yet another feature called Data modeling, which allows the users to connect several data sources in the business intelligence (BI) tool through a relationship. Relationship explains the way data sources were connected to one another and build interactable data visualizations over various data sources. Data modeling also lets the user to create customized math calculations in the existing table using formulas. The columns in the tables were transferred live to Power BI for interactive data visualization. Because of this feature, business people could be able to define new metrics so as to do customized math calculations for the defined metrics.
By joining two or more elements present in the existing data, users can build calculated columns in Power BI. Users are allowed to define new metrics by stating math calculations in an existing column. They are also allowed to join two columns to make it as one single column.
Data set can be defined as a collection of various information (data) through which representations can be made by Power BI. For Example, Microsoft Excel Work book, SQL server table etc.,
Dashboards in Power BI are used to visualize data, reports etc., Dashboard makes several perceptions to make it single.
Users can create their own dash boards in Power BI by attaching the visualizations available in Business intelligence reports. The visualizations built from these reports through Power BI service are accessible for attaching to build dashboards.
Report contains various data collected from various sources. Several data are grouped on page in a report. For example, data collected for products profit, sales of a company, data from a city etc.,
Tile is one more feature available in Power BI service. It is said to be a data snap shot which can be attached to your dashboard. It is a single visualization present in a report or on individual’s dashboard.
Power Query is an ETL tool which means extract, transform, load three data base functions in one tool. Through this tool, user can pull data out from one data base and can place that data in another data base. The method of reading a data is called as Extract. The method of transforming the data, i.e changing data from the existing form to a new form as per the need is called as Transform. The method of writingQ45) the data to the target database is called Load. This extract, transform and load function can be done through interfaces and does not require any script. Using Power Query, user can import data from several sources, can combine, append data from several sources and can shape the data as per their requirement.
Power query uses M-code, a recent programming language among developers. Since this language is quite simple to learn and similar to other existing programming languages, users started to use this language.
Focus mode is an enhanced feature in the Power BI dash board, which lets the user to focus their dash board, i.e., they can visualize their dashboards too closer. In case, multiple values were present in the dash board, this focus mode option enables the user to have a close view. User can also view columns in tables closely through focus mode. User can closely view all the data or report in the dashboard through focus mode. Focus mode also allows the user to attach a visual to some other dashboard through PIN icon present in the dashboard.
Power BI application is available for the following platforms:
- i-phone and i-pad
- Android platform
- Windows platform – windows desktop and tablets
Data gateway enables the user to connect in built data sources to the Power BI service. Data gateway allows any other version without any admin configuration to connect with. It is also called a Personal Gateway. Through logging on the Power BI service, user can set up this personal gateway service.
Power BI allows the user to create simple visualizations alone. Visualizations help users to view their data and to help them to interact with the dashboard. Visualizations present users to view data too effectively. It is the basic and important building block to any BI tool. Several data visualization components were available in Power BI such as bar charts, maps, pie charts and complex components like gauges, funnels, waterfalls etc., and various other components.
Combination charts are charts supported by Power BI which can plot various measures over a single chart. These charts plot all the measure values. Any requirement of different measure can be plotted using combination chart. Stacked column charts and Line charts are the widely used combination chart types in Power BI.
Users are allowed to alter the chart colors in Power BI. There will be an option to change the color while selecting any visualization. This color change option will be present under the Format tab in the visualization dash board. Some of the options in the format tab are: Data colors, Legend, Title, Detail label, Border, Background, General and Lock aspects.
To provide enhanced visualizations to users measures, there is a need to add text, images and shapes. If user needs to add some messages, to add header or footer, any signatures to data visualization, user can use this option. This option is available to user in their Power BI dashboard to add shapes, images and text box. User is allowed to add different shapes in data visualization. User can enter anything in the text box and edit the text using rich text editor. This text box is available in user’s report canvas. Images can also be added to add images, logos etc., to data visualization. Any image can be selected by browsing your system. Also user is allowed to resize selected images.
Some situations require the usage of same visuals and same layout for various pages. There is an option available in Power BI to duplicate a page. Power BI has a duplicate page option, and if you use it, a fresh page will be created with similar visuals and layout like the original page. To create a duplicate page, from the dash board menu, right click on the page and select duplicate page option.
Power BI allows users to integrate excel workbook to Power BI. User can import data present in excel sheets from the local disk of a system to Power BI. But, user has to check whether every column in excel work book contain proper name before importing data from excel to Power BI.
Power BI desktop allows the user to share their data and reports to other business users. Users can share data, dashboards and business intelligence reports with other business people, individuals and to their colleagues who were present in their organization.
Power BI designer is a mix of Power view, Power query and Power pivot. It is a stand- alone application which allows the users of power BI to build Power BI reports. The created report is further uploaded to powerbi.com. Power BI designer does not require Microsoft Excel.
Power BI allows its users to use various function types to examine data and to create new metrics, new columns. These functions are available from several categories such as: text, date, aggregate, counting, logical and information. User can easily view the list of all these available functions. If you type something in the formula space, you can view the list of available functions for the typed character. This option is similar to find a contact option from a mobile device.
Some of the aggregate functions present in DAX are: Average, Min, Max, Sum and SumX. Some of the counting functions available are: Count, Distinct Count, Count Rows, Count Blank and CountA.
Power BI allows the users to build two basic calculations using DAX: Calculated measures and Calculated Columns.
Logical functions: AND, OR, NOT, IF and IF ERROR
Date functions: Hour, Date, Weekday, EOMonth and Now.
Information functions: ISTEXT, ISNONTEXT, ISBLANK, ISERROR and ISNUMBER.
Text Functions: Search, Fixed, upper, concatenate and Replace.
For those who need admin privileges to access the BI admin portal without office 365 suite access, admin role is granted to Power BI. Users who require admin access can follow the following steps.
- Go to Office 365 Suite Admin Center
- Choose Users option, further choose Active users
- Go to Roles tab and click on the Edit option
- Then, go to the customized administrator tab and then select the option Power BI administrator.
- Power BI is a open source tool, available at free of cost but is limited to 1GB data and can make 10k rows/hour.
- Power BI Pro is freely available for 60 days as a trial version and further, user can pay 9.99USD/month and /user. User is allowed for 10GB data storage and can make 1 million rows/hour.
- Power BI also contain a premium version for premium users. Premium version contains a flexible pricing as per node/month.
- Power BI contains an on-premises report server which is capable of publishing reports. In this option, user can change their cloud platform whenever they need.
REST APIs are used to operate the data present in Power BI in real time environments. With the combination of REST API with Power BI, user can build dashboards, datasets, add/delete rows and can receive groups. This Power BI REST API can be built through many technologies. Some of them are :
Users require Azure active directory token to get access applications in Power BI dashboards.
Power BI requires Azure active directory (AAD) access for every user who uses Power BI service. Users require login credentials to build their BI account, which could be also an email account. Users need a unique username to access this account. Azure cloud actually provides security to Power BI. It includes various levels of security. They are:
- AAD Based Security
- Multi-tenant platform Security
- Networking Security
There are two types of repositories available in Power BI for data storage. They are:
- Azure BLOB storage and
- Azure SQL DB
To upload users data, Azure Blob storage is used and to store system data, Azure SQL database is used. Azure cloud is responsible to provide authentication, data and network security to the Power BI users.
BI stands for Business Intelligence. It’s a group of technologies that help in analyzing the entire data. It also offers actionable insights to users, corporate executives, and managers to make the best decisions.
There are different Power BI components namely
- Power Pivot (for in-memory tabular data modeling)
- Power Map (for 3D geospatial visualizing)
- Data Management Gateway
- Power BI Mobile (For iOS, Android, and Windows phones)
- Power Query(for transformation and data mash-up)
- Power View(for data visualizations view)
- Data Catalog
- Power Q/A (for natural language Q/A)
- Power Bi Desktop(a companion development tool)
There are two important Business Intelligence solutions included in the Microsoft self-service namely
- Power BI
- Excel BI Toolkit
Power BI is the data-sharing environment in a cloud that enables users to visualize, analyze the nformation with high speed, greater understanding, and efficiency. It also enables users to connect to a different range of data using interactive reports, compelling visualizations, and user-friendly dashboards.
The Excel Power BI Toolkit enables users to develop attractive reports by importing various types of data from different model data acc and sources to requirements.
- Power BI: It provides different features for the users to get started with data search in a unique way.
- Power BI Pro: It holds some extra features added to the Power BI features like higher storage capacity, data refresh scheduling and interactive live data sources.
- In this type of BI, they help a different enterprise to process data from different data sources. The source can be in any type of format.
- It also enables the companies to process data, conducts different operations in the business easily.
- Data analyzing is also made easier.
- There are no requirements for third party vendors.
- The user can generate actionable and intuitive dashboards without the need for complicated programming codes.
Managed Enterprise BI:
- In this type of BI, the data flows from various sources and there is no order for any companies to take in and control the data sources.
- The organizations fail to conduct different business operations as they cannot analyze, report, or collaborate to gather valuable insights.
- In this BI, there are lack of proper information as well time constraints are present when analyzing data.
- This type of BI also needs third party vendors to help organizations in a different way.
- There is a requirement for complex programming skills to generate reports.
Power BI and Power BI desktop are free of cost. If you need a premium package, then the users should pay $9.99 per month for Power BI Pro. The one advantage here is that the users can pay the amount after completing their 60 days of a free trial.
It’s one of the free desktop applications installed on your system. The Power BI Desktop along with the Power BI service offers advanced shaping, creating reports, modeling, data exploration with the best visualizations. All your works can be saved to a file. You can also publish that information, and report them to others using the Power BI Suite.
There are five important components of Power BI building blocks namely
- Datasets: Its a group of data that helps users to create their own visualizations.
- Dashboards: It’s presenting your different visualizations in a single layer. It means you will be able to integrate different visualization in a single layer of the page.
- Visualization: Its the data’s visual representation. For example Line graph, graphical presentation of top of treemaps, pie chart, side by side bar charts, and so on.
- Reports: Its the group of visualizations that appear as a group on different pages. Sales by state, logistics performance report, country, profit by-products report, and more are some of the examples.
- Tiles: Its the dashboard or report’s single visualization.
- You should have a work email address and a web browser.
- Make sure you do not have your work email address ending in .gov or .mil as they are not supported at present.
- Power BI Service: An online Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Power BI Desktop: For desktop computers
- Mobile Power BI apps: For Android and iOS devices.
Your work email address should end with .edu or .org.
A content pack is described as the predefined and readymade collection of reports and visualizations utilizing your chosen service like Salesforce. You need them when you need to create a report immediately instead of taking much time to create it from scratch.
DAX is derived as Data Analysis Expression, which is a group of constants, operators, and functions used in formulas to return and calculate values. In short, they are used to develop new information from the existing data. There are three basic concepts included in DAX namely
- Functions: This type of concept use particular values, otherwise called as arguments in the right order to execute a calculations, just identical to Excel functions. The categories included in the functions are time intelligence, logical, statistical, parent/child, date/time, information, mathematical, text, and more.
- Syntax: This indicates the writing format of a formula. It indicates the elements used to comprise it. The function in Syntax is SUM. You will get an error message in case your syntax is wrong.
- Context: Filter context and row context are two types of context. Row context is used when a formula include a function that is used to apply the filter to pick the single row in a single table. The filter context is used when there is a number of filters applied in a calculation that indicates a value or result.
- Power BI
- Online Services
- Power BI datasets
- SQL Server and analysis services
This feature provide data connectivity to a different number of data sources. The Get Data can be seen on the Power BI Desktop’s main page menu bar. You can make use of this option to connect the app of Power BI Desktop with the related data source. You will be able to connect this to the local system data files, Azure SQL database, Google Analytics, Excel files, Facebook, Power BI datasets, and more. You can also connect them to the on-premise data source and cloud-based source with the help of direct connects, online services, and gateways.
It’s the collection and combination of various visualizations related to specific business topics. It’s also the structured and graphical data presentations used in the analysis. Reports reveal the data’s important insights and are also informative. Users can easily publish and share reports that are created in Power BI. It can be done using Power Bi website and Power BI desktop, mobile platforms, and cloud-based platforms.
- Navigation pane
- Help and feedback buttons
- Ad Hoc analysis
- Mobile device compatibility
- Trend indicators
- Data visualization tools
- Complete reporting
- Customizable dashboards
- Get Data
- Ad Hoc reporting
- Q&A question box
- Row-level security
- OLAP (Online Analytical Processing)
- Interactive reports authoring.
All the imported Power BI data from various sources of data are stored in either Dimension tables and Fact tables.
- Dimension table: It’s a database table that holds every attribute values for the stored data in the fact table. It held in a star schema that is attached to the fact table.
- Face table: It is the primary or central table of any start schema. It holds the quantitative or measured values. It contains the primary keys and these are not normalized usually.
There are many reasons to state why you should go for Power BI tools. Some of them include.
- Power BI enables updates on real-time dashboards.
- It enables secure environment, hybrid configuration, and rapid deployment.
- It holds dashboards that are prebuilt and also reports for SaaS solutions.
- It provides reliable and secure connections of all your sources of data in the on-premise or cloud.
- Enables you to explore your data with the help of a natural language query.
Data Analysis Expression supports the following data types.
Power BI is mostly used by
- Data & Business analyst
- IT professionals and team
- Data Scientist
- Program Management Office
- Database Administrator and Developer
- Consumer for End User Report
Power BI Desktop enables the users to group the data into smaller chunks. You need to use Control + click to select different elements in the visual for the grouping purpose. You can right-click on any of the elements, that appear in the groups’ window.
- It enables you to develop different tiles like images, text boxes, web content, and combine URLs.
- It enables you to drill through the selection pane, bookmarks, and page.
- It enables you to set a report layout for the mobile view.
M-Code is the language used in Power Query. It’s a new programming language developed to be user-friendly, case sensitive and it’s identical to other languages.
- Adding Indexes
- Removing rows and columns
- Applying for a Sort order
Yes, you need to configure the firewall settings to enable remote connections before connecting it to the database in Azure SQL Database.
- Variables are capable of making DAX expressions more logical.inituitive to interpret.
- By evaluating and declaring a variable, it can be reused at different times in the DAX expression, it means you can avoid any of the extra queries of the source database.
- Variables are designed to query or measure. They are not able to share them with the model level.
The BI is an acronym for Business Intelligence which includes technologies practises and applications for collection, integration, evaluation and presentation of organizational information using different charts. The main motive behind this business intelligence tool is to support business managers, corporate executives, employees, and other persons in taking more data-driven and more informed decisions.
Self-service business intelligence is an approach to data analytics in which the users are no need to possess the high technical knowledge to filter, segment, and examine the data related to them. The SSBI does not demand your technical and statistical knowledge in performing business intelligence tasks.
SSBI’s have a simplified process for end-users to access data and analyse it to make effective decisions.
The SSBI’s can be easily operated by those who have a basic understanding of data and can create shareable dashboards and reports.
Power BI is a cloud-based business intelligence tool, that lets you clearly visualize and analyze your organizational information. In Power BI you can develop reports using Power Pivot, Power Query, Power View and also you can share your insights with your co-workers. Power BI lets you upload all your excel books into the cloud and you can grant access to a specific group of people or groups you want. Your colleagues not only access your reports but also you allow them to interact with the reports in the form of applying slicers and filters to improve the data. Power BI allows for seamless integration between multiple software and services.
Power BI lets you perform below things:
- Easy to share presentations and reports with your colleagues.
- You can update the excel file from the data source that can be either in the cloud or on-site.
- You can display the dashboards on multiple devices which include PC’s, tablets and also mobiles enabled with HTML 5 by downloading the Power BI App.
- You can use natural language processing to query your data.
Power BI can seamlessly connect to a wide range of data sources, below mentioned are the different sources.
Files: Data can be sourced from Power BI Desktop files Excel (.xlsx, xlxm), (.pbix), and from the CSV files.
Content Packs: The content packs are a collection of related files or documents that are stored as a group. We have two types of content packs available in Power BI, the first type is from the service providers such as Google Analytics, Salesforce, and Marketo and the second type is created and shared by the individuals in your organization.
Connectors: which includes databases such as Database And SQL, Azure SQL, comparing analysis service tabular data, etc.
Below mentioned are the main components of Power BI:
- Data Integration
- Data Presentation
- Data Processing
Below mentioned are the key components or building blocks of Power BI
Visualizations: It is nothing but a graphical representation of data. For example Pie Chart, Bar Charts, Line Graph, TreeMap, a graphical presentation with Geographical Map, etc.
Reports: Report is a set of visualizations that comes in one or more pages. For example Sales by Continent, Country, State, City, profit of a product, logistic performance report, etc.
Datasets: Dataset is a grouped data that is being used by Power BI for graphical representation purpose. Ex. Excel sheets, SQL server tables.
Dashboards: Dashboard is a single screen to present multiple graphics. Dashboards allow users to bring multiple visualizations into a single page layer. Ex. A marketing dashboard can have geographical maps, pie charts, and bar charts.
Tiles: Tile is a visualization on a dashboard or a report. Ex. Pie Chart in a report or dashboard.
Filters are the criteria set by us to get only the intended information from the whole data. Filters work based on the defined criteria. For example, we have sales data from the US and you want to see only New York information then you can give Criterion as New York to eliminate the other data.
In Power, BI FIlters can be applied at three levels which are Visual-level, Page-level, and Report-level.
Visual-level: Here Filter is applicable to only individual visualizations and reduces the data amount shown by Visualization. Besides these visual-level filters can also filter both calculations and data.
Page-level: These are the filters that work on a page level in a report. In a report, each page can have a different filter i.e page- level filters.
Report-level: These are the filters that work at the report level and are used to filter the pages and visualizations presented in a report.
Filters are highly useful but they are associated with some limitations which are as follows
You can not save the filters that you have applied to a report. Whenever you open a report you need to apply all those filters again that you have applied previously. You can not save the filters you made to a report in a saved report.
You can not hide a filter that is being applied to a report. The filters you have applied can be seen by the people who have access to your report.
The Power BI content packs are pre-built solutions that come with various objects. Content packs in Power BI show you a path to share different power BI objects such as datasets, reports, or dashboards with your colleagues or individual groups. The content packs are accessed or shared through the Power BI site. Microsoft has released content packs for major services such as Marketo, Salesforce.com, Adobe Analytics, CircuitID, Azure Mobile Engagement, comScore Digital Analytix, SQL Sentry, Quickbooks Online, and tyGraph.
To use the content packs you should be using Power BI Pro which helps you to implement and share content packs. Content paks include:
- Excel Workbooks
There are three important tools in Power BI which are:
Power BI Desktop – used for Desktops
Power BI Service – tool as an online Software as a Service (SaaS)
Mobile Power BI apps – used for Android and iOS devices.
Reports in Power BI are defined as a collection of different types of visualizations related to a single business topic. A report contains the datasets used in the presentation of analysis. Reports are highly informative and contain valuable insights extracted from the data. In Power BI User can easily share reports with others via Power BI Desktop, mobile platforms, cloud-based platforms, and power Bi website.
A Power BI Dashboard is a canvas using which we can present various visualizations to represent datasets. A dashboard helps us in presenting the data of reports in a graphical format that can be easily understood by anyone. It contains only the important elements extracted from a report. A dashboard is a single page prepared from multiple pages of a report. Dashboards help in getting quick insights rather than going through complete reports. Dashboards are mainly used to get quick insights out of data to understand business functionality.
Power BI is a cloud-based analytical solution and offers the service regarding the same. The cloud-based service is nothing but sharing and viewing the dashboards and reports on cloud platforms. One can use a work email to access the Power BI reports on the Power BI site.
Power BI is a web-based platform in which you can share the reports that are made of Power BI Desktop and create dashboards. Power BI Service versions are available in three different options such as Free, Pro, and premium. And also Power BI Service is called by names such as “Power BI Workspace” “Power BI.com”, “Power BI Web Portal”, and “Power BI Site”.
To visualize the data we need to download/import data into the Power BI tool. There are two areas in which data gets stored in Power BI when you import from data sources that are Fact tables and Dimension tables.
Fact Tables: A fact table stores Quantitative information for analysis purpose and it is not possible to normalize in most of the situations.
Dimension table: This table is to store dimensions and attributes that describe stored in a fact table.
There are three different views available in Power BI and each one serves a specific purpose.
Report View: In the report view, a user can add additional report pages and also visualizations and publish them on the same portal using Report View.
Data View: Data view helps in looking at your data after that has been loaded into the model.
Relationship View: A user can check to control the relationships between the data sets by using a relationship view.
Major Data sources used in Power BI Desktop are:
- Power BI
- Online Services
You can easily adjust the responsive slicers according to the required sizes and shapes and the data contained in a report should be realigned according to it.
Advanced Editor helps in viewing the query run by Power BI to Import data sources.
The Query is written in Power Query formula language
When you wish to view the query code from the Power BI click on the Edit queries presented in the Home tab.
You can use either the View tab or Home tab to click on Advanced editors to use. The advanced window editor will display the code used for the selected query.
When we make modifications to data using a query editor, the steps are automatically saved in Applied steps.
Two types of connectivity modes are
- Direct Query
DAX is an acronym for Data Analysis expression which is used to conduct data analysis in power pivot. DAX is a formula language used to compute calculated fields and calculated columns.
- DAX cannot modify or add data
- It works on column values
- It is not possible to calculate measures using DAX
Below mentioned are some of the most commonly used DAX functions:
- SUM, MAX, AVG, MIN, DISTINCTCOUNT, COUNTROWS.
- IF, SWITCH, OR, AND,
- ISFILTERED, ISBLANK, ISCROSSFILTERED
- FILTER, VALUES, CALCULATE, ALL,
- INTERSECT, UNION, NATURALINNERJOIN, EXCEPT, NATURALLEFTEROUTERJOIN, ISEMPTY, SUMMARIZECOLUMNS,
- GEOMEAN, DATEDIFF, MEDIAN,
- VAR (Variables
Following are the benefits:
A single variable can be used multiple times in DAX expression by declaring and evaluating the variable. Which eliminates additional querying from the source database.
Variables make DAX expressions more logical to interpret.
Variables have only limited scope to their query or measure, it is not possible to define them at the model level, or shared among measures.
Following are the major Power BI add-in to Excel:
Power Query: It helps in selecting, editing, and Importing external data.
Power Pivot: this add-in used for data analysis and modeling.
Power View: It makes the task easier in designing Interactive visualizations.
Power Map: This add-in allows you to display insights in 3D.
Power Pivot – Power BI Interview Questions and Answers
Power Pivot is a powerful add-in for Microsoft Excel 2010. Pivot helps you in importing millions of rows of data from various data sources into a single Excel workbook. It allows the users to create calculated columns, develop relationships between heterogeneous and also lets you build PivotTables and PivotCharts. All these things will help you in conducting further analysis of data to make business decisions without depending on IT teams.
A Pivot model is made of data types, table relations, columns, and tables. These data models are normally created for storing business information.
The xVelocity in-memory analytics engine plays is a powerful thing behind the Power Pivot. It handles large amounts of data because it stores data in columnar databases, and in-memory processing (it loads all data into RAM) makes data processing faster than ever before.
It is an ETL tool used to reconstruct, clean, and transform data with the help of initiative interfaces without writing a single line of code. It helps a user in the following ways.
Power query is capable of importing data from various sources such as databases, big data, files, Social media, etc.
Construct data based on requirements by removing and adding data.
Joins and appends data from various sources.
The common Power Query Transformations include Filtering Rows, Changing Data Types, Grouping, Removing Columns, Adding New Columns, Splitting columns, etc.
Yes, we can use them together. A SQL statement can be used as a source of Power Query for making additional logical processing. This will help in ensuring that an efficient query is passed to the source and avoids unnecessary complexities.
M-code is a new programming language used in power query. M-code is a simple language and similar to other programming languages and it is a case sensitive language.
The strength BI laptop is the software that’s used by the BI developers to build intuitive reports from the raw statistics which may be from numerous source systems. once the reviews are equipped we will put up the reviews to Power BI service. The energy BI desktop is free.
Strength BI provider: that is a SaaS primarily based a part of Power BI & it’s miles frequently mentioned as strength BI online or energy BI Cloud. The cause of power BI service is to percentage the reviews and Dashboards build by way of the builders to the quit customers. The electricity BI provider is license-based totally.
Power BI Mobile: The power BI cell is to view the reports at the move out of your mobile telephones. we can download strength BI mobile from Android Play keep and Apple – App store.
Power BI Report Server: Often the reviews which we construct are greater Sensitive & the reviews can’t be posted to the Power BI Cloud. To Tackle this state of affairs and to post the reviews to a carrier that is On-Premise, Microsoft has come with a Product referred to as Power BI Report Server.
Power Query: The ETL (Extract, Transform & Load) Part of the BI is taken care of in Power Query. It is a Data Transformation Engine. It allows us to Connect a range of information sources ranging from Excel to Streaming data.
Power Pivot: The Data Modelling Part of the BI Process is performed with the assist of Power Pivot. The Relationships between the tables are hooked up right here and Calculations are written via Power Pivot Part of Power BI. It makes use of DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) language to mannequin the data.
Power View: It lets to create Powerful visuals, charts & Graphs from the tables. It can join to the records sources accessible in the Models and lets you to filter information for every visual or a web page or a complete report.
Power Map: The Geographical information can be visualized by the usage of Power Map and it used Microsoft Bing to get the Best visuals primarily based on Latitude and Longitude, Country, State, County, City, etc.
Power BI Desktop: It is a single device Integrated with Power Query, Power View , Power Pivot and Power Maps.
Power BI Stores Data in phrases of Fact and Dimension tables.
Fact Tables: The Fact information shops the quantitative data. The Simple way of Explaining a Fact desk is It incorporates numeric fields which can be aggregated alongside with the Foreign keys which are used to set up relationships between the Dimension tables.
Dimension Tables: The Dimension tables or the Lookup are in distinction with the Fact tables, this table incorporates textual content fields which are descriptive in nature. It consists of a Primary Key which are in Integer information kinds to join with the reality tables.
- We can join to Various records sources & extract the required records and Shape the statistics as per our need.
- We can Create New columns the use of the columns are existing in the dataset.
- Duplicate, Merge, Split, Rename the columns.
- Replace the Columns values.
- Pivot and Transpose the columns.
- And tons more.
- Direct question mode à No Limitations in the Size
- Import mode à Up to 1Gb of facts per dataset
DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) which are predominantly useful in querying & returning the information from the tables handy in the Data model. To do calculations and to function facts evaluation in Power BI we want to use DAX calculations.
We can Write Measures and Calculated Columns or Calculated Tables the usage of DAX Expressions.
Measures: The Measure are used to calculate aggregations such as Sum, Min, Max, Average & Count at the desk level. It is calculated at the time of the question which says that the Measures are no longer saved somewhere in the database or in the model. They truely exist.
Calculated Column: The Primary distinction between the measure and the calculated column in the Evaluation context. The Evaluation of a calculated columns is completed at the row degree the place as the comparison context of a measure is at the desk level.
- Use a calculated column when you choose to consider every row.
- Use a measure when you want an aggregate.
There are three one-of-a-kind Interactions on hand in Power BI.
- Filter à It definitely filters the visuals or a tile when different charts are selected.
- Highlight à It Highlights solely the associated values in a chart or visuals primarily based on the options primarily based on the different charts.
- None à It ignores the Filter picks from the other Charts or the visuals.
- There are three extraordinary Interactions reachable in Power BI.
- Visual Level à It filters facts solely on an Individual chart or a Graph . It can filter each the information and calculations.
- Page-Level à When a Page stage filter is utilized all the charts and Graphs are filtered with the corresponding filter which is applied. We can have specific web page stage filters utilized at exclusive pages of the filter.
- Report Level à A single filter for the whole record which ability all the charts / Graphs at exceptional pages are utilized with the corresponding filters.
Bookmarks are sort of Shortcut used in Power BI to navigate to a sure web page that is configured at a factor of time. We can toggle between a foremost file web page and a bookmark for handy comparison. Bookmarks are static and all the filter or interactions which are configured won’t exchange till we edit the bookmarks.
We can slice and cube the facts of the usage of Slicers. Slicers are visible filters that offer interactivity to the stop customers and permit the customers and slice and cube the data.
A dataset can be refreshed eight instances a day in Power BI Pro and forty eight instances in Power BI Premium. If we have 5 extraordinary datasets, we can refresh forty instances a day (8*5)
We can use “Append Queries” in Power Query editor to mix the tables due to the fact of the gain of having the identical desk structure.
Append: Result of two greater tables are mixed as a single query. If there are two tables with 50 & one hundred rows respectively, we can append the distinction queries as a single query. For Append it is suggested that each the tables need to be in a identical desk structure. The quantity of columns in each the tables must be in a equal name. In case a new column is introduced in any one of the table, the appended question will additionally have the greater column and desk which will preserve null price for the archives which are associated to the dataset which does now not have the extra columns. Also, the Append question will permit duplicates.
Merge: Merge Queries are type of Combining two exceptional queries based totally on a matching values. Merge queries will no longer appear for the Columns to mix the records however the row values. Merge are comparable to Joins in phrases are SQL and there are 6 unique joins supplied in Power BI.
* Dates à A Date columns , It can be from the Calendar Table.
* Number_of_intervals à Interval to add or Subtract the date cost from the given Date.
* Interval à The Interval can be 12 months or Month or Quarter or Day.
19. What is the distinction Between Filter and Slicer?
Filters are used to restriction the records measurement or we can Target some particular areas with the aid of Providing a filter. Filter does now not grant the interactions between the consumer and the Dashboard. Whereas Slicer are extra interactive & it is extra for Slicing and dicing the data.
- Decimal Numbers & Whole Numbers
- Date & Date time
Cardinality capacity the relationship which is set up between two tables in the Modelling view of Power BI. We can discover if the tables have awesome of multi cases per price for the becoming a member of columns between the two tables.
- One to One
- One to Many
- Many to Many are the three one-of-a-kind cardinalities reachable in Power BI.
In Power BI Pro we can cope with up to 1Gb of statistics & in Power BI Premium we can Handle 10 Gb of Data per User.